Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Running: A Fresh Look

I like to run. I am not a fast runner; quite average in fact. But it gives me a chance to renew my body and my mind. Running outside helps me think more clearly, meditate and recharge while I give my muscles, bones and heart a great workout. I'm sure there are many of you who are passionate about running and can relate to the mental and physical boost it provides. For you running nuts, I wanted to do a short series that gives a fresh look to an old movement.

First off, I won't talk about the cardiovascular and general health benefits that running provides. You all know about that and it's been well researched and written about by hundreds of authorities. Instead, let's start by looking at the hormonal milieu that your body goes through.

A 2008 paper in the European Journal of Internal Medicine found that cortisol levels are increased after running a marathon. This comes as no surprise as cortisol is famous for being a "stress hormone." A 26.2 mile race is quite a physical stressor.

Cortisol itself is a great hormone but in today's hectic world, the "emotional marathon" of daily life takes its toll. Coupled with other physical demands such as irregular meal times & sleep deficit, we continue to tax the adrenal glands (the body part that produces cortisol) until there is either overburden or outright fatigue of these glands.

In other words, training with "burned out" adrenal glands can be hazardous. We'll make a case in future blog entries.

No comments: